VERIZON'S 'SUPERCOOKIE" targets ads to be sent to your phone. FCC fined Verizon.

verizon's "supercookie"

After I followed the instructions I have laid out below I was amazed at the ads that disappeared from some of my apps. I had noticed a spike in my ads. 



VERIZON WILL PAY $1.35 million-fine-in-settlement-over-its-use-of-supercookies


Why wasn't this made public to "normal" people and not just  exposed on the internet and/or covered by the news.  I never heard about Verizon's "supercookie" until I an article in the newspaper about the fine. 

After I researched the word I found several sites instructing how to opt out.  Some of them were helpful and some not.

HERE ARE MY INSTRUCTIONS:


  1. Login to your verizonwireless.com account with User ID or Mobile Number and Password and handle your security questions.
  2. After you are in:  You will see your bill. 
  3. Hover on Tab that says My Profile at the top of the page. Drop down includes 
  4. Privacy Settings (a little lock beside it) Click on. 
  5. Customer Privacy Settings. Scross down and you will see
    1. Don't Share my CPNI AND OK to Share my CPNI
    2. Change the dot(s) to Don't Share my CPNI (Seclect all if you have more than one line)
    3. SAVE CHANGES
  6. Then scroll down to Business & Marketing Insights and you will see
    1. Don't use my information for Business and Marketing Insights AND  Ok to use my information for Business and Marketing insights
    2. Change the dot(s) to Don't use my information to Business and Marketing Insights
    3. SAVE CHANGES
  7. Then scroll down to Relevant Mobile Advertising and you will see
    1. No, I don't want to participate in Relevant Movile Advertising AND Yes, I want to participate in Relevant Mobile Advertising
    2. Change the dot(s) to No, I don't want to participate in Relevant Mobile Advertising.
    3. SAVE CHANGES
  8. LOG OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT. 

Comments

Popular Posts